HOW I BECAME A HINDU - My Discovery of Vedic Dharma By David Frawley -3






















HOW I BECAME A HINDU
My Discovery of Vedic Dharma
By
David Frawley
(Pandit Vamadeva Shastry)




Anandamayi Ma

From 1976 through 1980 I corresponded with the
great woman saint of India, Sri Anandamayi Ma. I
had decided to write her as a friend of mine had
recently done so and received a reply. To my
surprise a letter came back from her within a few
months.
Swamis Atmananda and Nirvananda helped with
my communications. I planned to visit Ma in India
but somehow could not get the resources together
to bring it about. I also wrote a few articles for their
magazine Ananda Varta. Contact with Ma inspired
me more into a Vedantic and Hindu mold.
Her energy would come in waves, almost like an
electrical force, encouraging me to deeper
practices. Ma’s energy opened up devotional
potentials for me, not merely for the Goddess but

also for Shiva and Rama. I began to look into
Bhakti Yoga, chanting and devotional meditation.
Images of Hindu deities appeared in my mind.
Under Ma’s inspiration I began a more serious
study of Vedic teachings. About this time I also
received a copy of the Yajur Veda from India,
which I found, to my surprise since even
Aurobindo hadn’t talked of it, to be as inspiring as
the Rig Veda. The power of the mantras continued
to unfold and new Vedic vistas arose.
About the same time I discovered the teachings of
Swami Rama Tirtha, who lived at the turn of the
century and was another great Vedantin. I felt a
special inner kinship to Swami Rama, who was a
poetic, inspirational and independent figure.
I felt that Ma’s grace led me to him, as the Ram
mantra often came to me while I was in contact
with her. Swami Rama was another major guide
and teacher in my life. Most importantly he
connected me with the world of nature through his
towering Himalayan spirit and his indomitable
will.
Writing on the Vedas

Then in summer of 1978 my Vedic work, which
would dominate the rest of my life, first emerged. I
was inspired by some inner energy to write a set of
poems about the ancient dawns and the ancient
suns that directed me back to the Vedas. I decided
to study the Vedas in depth in the original
Sanskrit. wanted to directly confirm if Sri
Aurobindo’s view was correct that the Vedas did
have a deeper spiritual and Vedantic meaning.
I had studied a Sanskrit through the years and
already had Sanskrit texts of the Vedas and
Upanishads to start with. I remember my early
encounters with Vedic texts. Sometimes they
seemed primitive or even violent in their language.
I thought that either the Vedic rishis were not true
sages or that something was fundamentally in
wrong in how we have interpreted their teachings.
Rather than simply dismissing the Vedas as
primitive I decided to question the perspective.
I found that most people were looking at the Vedas
through the eyes of Western intellectual thought
or, at best, with a Vedantic or Buddhist logic. I
realized that the Vedas were not written according
to either of these views and required a very
different approach. It is not enough merely to

translate the Vedas; one has to recreate the
background the Vedas came from, in which context
they were fresh and alive. The Vedas presumed a
certain state of mind on the part of those who
studied them.
Like a treatise on high energy physics that requires
a knowledge of elementary physics to approach,
the Vedas were designed for people who already
had a sense of the Vedic language and its
implications. Without recreating that Vedic
background merely to translate the Vedas only
invites misinterpretation.
I decided to try to recreate that background. The
result was that I discovered deeper meaning to
teachings that appeared as little more than
primitive rituals to others. Because of my
background in poetic symbolism the Vedas made
perfect sense to me. The Sun, day, dawn, fire, and
ocean were archetypes of inner processes. So were
such animal images as the bull, cow, horse or
falcon. I didn’t view Vedic images according to the
standard of Vedantic or Buddhist logic, looking for
some subtle abstract dialectic, from which angle
they would appear crude.

I saw them as analogical keys to the workings of
the universe. I began creating a system to unlock
the greater meaning of the Vedic language. I
developed a strategy. I decided that the best way to
proceed was to trace the Vedic vision back from
the Upanishads, which were still relatively
transparent in meaning, to the Vedas – to use the
Upanishads as a door back in time.
Most people started the Hindu tradition with the
Upanishads and took them as its foundation. They
saw the emergence of the exalted philosophy of
Vedanta in the Upanishads and took that as the
essence of the tradition. Following Aurobindo I
realized that the Upanishads were a transitional
literature. While they created the basis for what
came later, they also reflected the essence of what
was done earlier.
While they opened the door forward on the
classical Hindu-Buddhist world, they closed the
door backward on the more mysterious Vedic age.
I began intensely working on the early
Upanishads, in what eventually became my first
published book in India, the Creative Vision of the
Early Upanishads. I correlated various
Upanishadic passages that either quoted from the

earlier Vedas or paraphrased them.
I found that many Upanishadic verses came
directly from the earlier Vedas, which most
translators and commentators didn’t seem to
know. The same verse occurring in the Upanishads
would be given a spiritual meaning, while in the
Vedas it was taken as merely ritualistic, if not
primitive! I used this Upanishadic usage of Vedic
verses to give an Upanishadic meaning to the
Vedic hymns.
I felt that if the Upanishads could use Vedic type
verses for expressing Self-realization, all the verses
of the Vedas should have a similar potential. I took
the very portions of the early Upanishads usually
rejected as ritualistic and reinterpreted them from a
spiritual angle, in light of the rules of symbolic
language. I was particularly affected by the
Chandogya Upanishad, which comes from the
Sama Veda or the Veda of song.
The book itself would seem to sing or to chant to
me. I would merely look at the book and start to
hear the Vedic students of old raising their voices
to the Divine. Something of the Vedic shakti came
through it along with a connection to the ancient

seers, their families and their practices. I learned to
look back from Advaita Vedanta through the
Upanishadsinto the mantras of the Rig Veda,
seeing how the path of Self-realization was there in
the earliest hymns.
Like Aurobindo I could appreciate the Vedic
mantras as a pure spiritual experience that later
became reduced to mere ritual when the inner
meaning of the symbols forgotten. The Vedic
mantras also served to open the entire ancient
spiritual world for me, affording a sense of the
deeper meaning of Egyptian or Mayan symbols as
well.
The Vedic language came alive and showed its
meaning to me. I found a Vedantic or adhyatmic
vision in nearly all the Vedic mantras, but most
Vedantins do not see this. Shankaracharya, the
great Vedantic commentator, did not make
Vedantic comments on the Vedic mantras but only
on the Upanishads, and only on small portions of
the early Upanishads. He divided the Vedas into
the Karma Kanda or section of works and the
Jnana Kanda or section of knowledge. He placed
the Vedic mantras and Brahmanas in the former
section and only the Upanishads in the latter.

This to me was like consigning all the Vedas except
the Upanishads to the domain of mere ritual,
which was effectively to dismiss the bulk of Vedic
literature, not to connect with their great power
and legacy. This Vedantic dismissing of the Vedas
gave the impression that the Vedic rishis did not
have the knowledge or the realization of the
Upanishadic sages. This was odd because the
Upanishadic sages quoted the Vedic rishis to
support their knowledge. I looked at the matter
differently. Like Aurobindo I felt that there was a
way of Self-realization in the Rig Veda. Shankara’s
division of the Vedas into Jnana Kanda and Karma
Kanda was a matter of convenience and not the last
word.
He spoke to an audience that was unable to see the
deeper meaning of the Vedic mantras but could
understand the logic of Vedanta. The more
accurate view is that the Vedas contain both
knowledge and ritual and the Vedic mantras can
be interpreted in either sense. The Brahmanas are
mainly ritualistic, while the Upanishads emphasize
knowledge, but the Samhita or mantra portion of
the Vedas can be looked at in either sense.
M.P. Pandit

After finishing this Vedic study I had no idea what
to do with it. Fortunately, through a personal
friend I came into contact with M.P. Pandit, the
secretary of the Sri Aurobindo Ashram. I had long
admired Pandit’s many books on the Vedas,
Tantra, Sri Aurobindo and the Mother. Pandit was
perhaps the foremost scholar of Indian spirituality,
not from an academic view but from a real
understanding and inner experience that spanned
the entire tradition.
If anyone could appreciate what I was doing, it
was he. I first visited Pandit in San Francisco in the
summer of 1979. I brought my writings on the
Vedas and Upanishads and explained my
approach to him. What I received from him in
return went far beyond my expectations. Pandit
was a calm and concentrated person, with a
penetrating vision.
He listened carefully before making any
comments. Instead of trying to influence me he
was quite receptive and open to what I was
attempting. I told him that I was not an academic
but doing the work from an inner motivation and
an intuitive view.

He said that it was better that I was not an
academic because I would not repeat their same
old mistakes and could gain a fresh view of the
subject. Pandit strongly encouraged me to continue
my work, offering his full support. He called my
Vedic work my "Divine mission," that I should
follow out. He said both to my surprise and my
honor that he would get my writings published in
India.
This greatly increased my enthusiasm in what I
was doing, which up to that point appeared to be
some obscure personal study, perhaps relevant to
no one. He asked me to mail him some of my
writings in India as he would be returning to India
in a few months.
Over the next few months I wrote a new book on
the Rig Veda called Self-realization and the Super
mind in the Rig Veda and sent it to him. The
manuscript was over five hundred pages long and
consisted of translations and interpretations of
many different Suktas, particularly those to Indra. I
had worked on it day and night during that period.
He serialized the book first in World Union and
later in the Advent, major Sri Aurobindo Ashram

journals from 1980-1984. Later I sent Pandit various
chapters of the Shukla Yajur Veda, which I
similarly translated and interpreted in a spiritual
(adhyatmic) light. This he had serialized in Sri
Aurobindo’s Action. Pandit also got my book
Creative Vision of the Early Upanishads published
in India.
His help was crucial in establishing my work as a
writer in the Vedic field, without which it would
have been probably consigned to my desk Along
with Pandit came the additional gift of the grace of
the Mother of the Sri Aurobindo Ashram. After
contacting Pandit I could also feel the Mother’s
energy and presence around me.
She was close by and would quickly appear to my
inner vision, guiding me in various ways. Even
today I can feel her nearby my consciousness
whenever I think of her. This was not something I
cultivated but came of its own accord.

J. Krishnamurti and the Question of Tradition

Another important, but rather opposite spiritual
influence, at the time was J. Krishnamurti. In
California I happened to end up for a few years at
Ojai, the town where Krishnamurti gave his yearly


talks, which I attended regularly. I became familiar
with the Krishnamurti community and made
friends with several older members of the group,
most who were ex-Theosophists.
Krishnamurti’s thoughts had a logic that appealed
to my revolutionary and anti-authority mentality.
He was a kind of spiritual anarchist. Though he
was in favor of meditation and the spiritual life, he
was against gurus and structured practices. Yet
given my connections with the Vedas and Vedanta
I couldn’t accept his wholesale rejection of
tradition and technique, or his criticism of mantra.
Krishnamurti was, on one hand, a typically selfalienated
Indian intellectual criticizing his own
culture. But, on the other hand, he possessed a
genuine meditative mind in harmony with the
same tradition, a strange contradiction but one that
was appealing to people who could not relate to
traditions.
He had important teachings on perception and on
the workings of the mind and emotions that added
much depth to my meditation. Krishnamurti
wanted to create a teaching that was universal, that
was not culturally limited or conditioned, and did

not require any identity in order to follow. While
this was a noble endeavor it failed to note the
organic nature of life.
In refusing to align with any tradition his teaching
became limited to perhaps the most limited factor.
It became a one man teaching or one-man tradition
– a Krishnamurti teaching. All tradition is not bad.
Otherwise we should leave our infants in the
woods and let them raise themselves without
authority, tradition or interference. We all follow
various traditions in life. We are part of a society
and a collective evolution.
We as individuals don’t invent our own language,
much less our own spiritual teachings. We have to
take the good that the collective culture gives us
and carry it further along.An authoritarian
tradition that does not allow open questioning but
projects a dogma as truth is certainly harmful.
But a cultural tradition that promotes spirituality
and creativity is very helpful. For example, a
musical tradition provides the instruments and
tools for musicians to grow. Spiritual traditions can
be helpful springboards for self-realization. The
problem arises when their tools are applied

mechanically, which is unfortunately too often the
case.
Real knowledge has a tradition and an authority,
just as there is in science, but it is a matter of direct
experience, not of mere belief. This is the basis of
the real Vedic tradition. One important thing I did
learn from Krishnamurti was not to blindly follow
anyone who called himself a guru.
Later I learned that it is particularly dangerous to
follow a guru who does not represent or have the
sanction of any real tradition. The Vedic view
allows thinking and debate and can even accept a
Krishnamurti who rejects the tradition for his
insights on meditation.
Into the Vedic Work – Ayurveda and Vedic
Astrology
Ayurveda became my main vehicle for expressing
Vedic knowledge to a modern and Western
audience. This also occurred according to a certain
chance or synchronicity. I moved to Santa Fe, New
Mexico in early 1983, where I focused on the study
of herbs and natural medicine that I had already
been engaged in for some time as part of my

seeking for a dharmic livelihood.
The alternative medicine movement was beginning
in a big way. But I didn’t know that an Indian
Ayurvedic doctor was then teaching the first
Ayurvedic programs in the United States in Santa
Fe. I was introduced to him by chance. His school
was interested in having someone teach Sanskrit, a
role that I found out about and took up. In turn I
began an intense study of Ayurveda. This led to
my teaching and writing in the field and helping
create study programs and classes.
Along a parallel line I had taken up the study of
Vedic astrology. I first studied astrology in Ojai in
the early seventies, which with a Theosophical
center had good resources on the subject.
I also discovered a few good books on Vedic
astrology. I practiced Western astrology for several
years, using Vedic astrology as a sidelight, but
gradually shifted over to the Vedic system. Along
with my Ayurvedic work in the mid-eighties I
focused on Vedic astrology, introducing classes
and courses in it as well, starting with Ayurveda
students.

In such diverse endeavors I wasn’t following a
particular plan but simply pursuing my interests
that often seemed scattered or disconnected.
Several times I tried to reduce one or more areas of
involvement so as to concentrate my energies, but
circumstances kept me active in all these different
fields. Later I would discover that the Vedic vision
could integrate such disparate subjects and was
behind my involvement with all of them.
With Ayurveda and Vedic astrology I discovered a
practical usage of Vedic knowledge that was
relevant to everyone. The gap between my Vedic
work and my actual career began to disappear. My
Vedic work and my livelihood became interrelated.
I focused on Ayurveda and Vedic astrology for a
few years and put my Vedic pursuits temporarily
in the background.

INDIA AND HINDUISM,
THE SPIRITUAL TRADITION

India and Hinduism

I had studied Hindu teachings and corresponded
with ashrams and teachers in India for many years.
I had written articles for journals in India since
1978 and books from 1982. Bu I hadn’t actually
been to India, though I almost made it twice. One
of my Hindu teachers in America remarked,
"David didn’t go to India, India came to him."
In 1987 I traveled to China and Tibet as part of my
study of Chinese medicine. A few months later, I
took a second trip to Asia and finally made it to
India. Though, perhaps belatedly, visiting India
was an important and transformative experience,
marking another era in my life. After that first visit
I continued to go back to India on a yearly basis.
My first trip to India occurred as part of my
pursuit of Ayurveda. It involved visiting
Ayurvedic schools and companies in Bombay and
Nagpur, and sightseeing to other parts of the
country. I also had two important visits of a
spiritual nature, first to Pondicherry and the Sri
Aurobindo Ashram, and second to the

Ramanashram in nearby Tiruvannamalai, a pattern
that was repeated in future visits to the country.
Sri Aurobindo and Pondicherry
My visit to Pondicherry and the Sri Aurobindo
Ashram reconnected me with Sri Aurobindo and
the Mother. There is definitely a strong shakti
present in the town, the Mother’s force that is
almost palpable. It came over me like a wave and
took me out of my ordinary consciousness,
sometimes for hours on end. It literally flattened
me, putting me in a state in which I didn’t want to
move. Sri Aurobindo’s force was also there,
particularly at his samadhi shrine, in which I could
feel and experience his life and teachings. But the
Mother’s shakti permeated the entire city and
never left one.
Pondicherry provided the opportunity to visit with
M.P. Pandit, who I had not seen since he stopped
coming to the West a few years earlier. I had kept
in touch with him by correspondence and he had
reviewed my various books that had come out in
the meantime.
One day I was attending one of Pandit’s weekly
meditations that followed his weekly talks.

Suddenly I started to breathe deeply and felt my
consciousness open up to a higher plane. The
vision of the Mother of the ashram unfolded a the
White Goddess Tara, a figure of great beauty, light
and compassion. Tibetan monks were doing chants
to her and seeking to project her energy in order to
help save the human race from the ignorance and
illusion in which it was mired. They were
meditating upon suffering humanity and using the
Mother’s force to uplift people.
The history of humanity unfolded before my inner
eye, how as children of Manu or the mind, we have
an inherent ignorance that keeps us trapped in
duality and sorrow. This ignorance at the core of
our minds has become the matrix of our culture
which, therefore, is caught in dichotomy,
contradiction and disintegration. Until we move
beyond this limited mental consciousness we must
repeat the same old errors and live in the same
uncertainty.
Yet beyond all this suffering the Mother revealed a
new and higher plan of creation, a model for a new
human being beyond the old mortal conditioning
of lust, fear and hatred. This being lived in
harmony with nature in an almost paradise

situation but as a future potential, not as a fact of
the Earth life, which would require much time and
effort to manifest it. The Mother kept echoing the
need for a new creation for which she was
projecting the seeds and scattering the flowers all
over the world.
I gradually returned to the ordinary state of
consciousness as the meditation came to an end. As
I left the house Pandit offered me a flower, a white
jasmine dear to the Mother, as said "for a new
creation." While I have done much work with the
ancient Vedas it is not only for the past, but also for
the future – going back to the human origins in
order to create a new humanity in harmony with
the Divine dawns and embodying the Divine light.
The Ramanashram: Encounter with Lord Skanda
Ramana Maharshi is probably the most famous
enlightened sage of modern India, the very
personification of the Atman, a pure unbounded
Self-realization, even though he did nothing to
gain recognition for himself. He has great appeal to
a rational and modern mind willing to transcend
name, form and culture. Yet what I discovered at
his ashram and in the psychic environment of the

town and hill was something different and
unexpected.
I came to the Ramanashram to contact Ramana and
his path of Self-inquiry, which is a method to
experience the non-dual state of pure awareness.
What I actually discovered was the God Skanda,
the child of fire, who demanded purification, death
and spiritual rebirth. I encountered one of the
Gods, not as a devotional or cultural image but as a
primordial and awesome power. Ramana came to
me through Lord Skanda, the son of Shiva, with
whom Ganapati Muni identified him. I came to
understand Ramana as Lord Skanda, the
embodiment of the flame of knowledge.
Coming into Tiruvannamalai I felt the presence of
a tremendous spiritual fire, which also had, in its
more benefic moments, the face of a young boy.
The image of a small boy carrying a spear, rising
out of a fire, kept arising in my mind. This brought
about an intense practice of Self-inquiry that was
literally like death, though it was the ego’s death,
not that of the body.
Going through that fire was perhaps the most
intense spiritual experience of my life, to the point

that I had at time to pray that it would not become
too strong! Yet afterwards I felt refreshed and
cleansed, with a purity of perception that was
extraordinary.
Up to that point I had a limited understanding of
the role of deities in spiritual practice. I had almost
no knowledge of Lord Skanda, though he is a
popular deity in South India and one sees his
picture everywhere. I had not yet grasped the
depth of his connection with Ramana. So I was
shocked to come into a direct contact with such an
entity, not as a mere fantasy but as a concrete and
vivid inner experience penetrating to the core of
my being. That the process of Self-inquiry, which
starts out as a philosophical practice, could be
aligned to a deity in which my personality was
swallowed up, was not something that I had noted
in any teachings.
In time I learned much about both Skanda and
Ramana. Skanda is the incarnation of the power of
direct insight. He is the Self that is born of Selfinquiry
which is like a fire, the inner child born of
the death of the ego on the cremation pyre of
meditation. This child represents the innocent
mind, free of ulterior motives, which alone can

destroy all the demons, our negative conditionings,
with his spear of discrimination beyond the
fluctuations of the mind. Coming to
Tiruvannamalai was an experience of that inner
fire (tejas) which is Skanda and Ramana.
I felt Lord Skanda most keenly at the great temple
of Arunachaleshwara in the nearby town. Initially
the experience of the temple was more important
for me than the experience of the ashram.
Arunachaleshwara temple still holds the vibration
of Ramana, who was its child, where he stayed and
practiced tapas when young and unknown. The
temple has its own Divine presence that has
nourished many great sages and yogis.
The Devi (Goddess) at the temple functions as the
mother of Ramana and Skanda and the mother of
all true seekers. The great Shiva linga, similarly, is
like Ramana’s father. The deities in the temple
came alive as the parents of Lord Skanda, who was
not only Ramana, but also my own inner child of
immortality. I felt the strongest energy and
unfoldment in the Mother temple. The story of the
birth of the Goddess Uma, her tapas in the
Himalayas, her marriage with Lord Shiva, and the
birth of Lord Skanda began to unfold in my
meditations as a symbol of the process of Self

realization. The myth became real, while our
human lives became mere shadows. The realms of
these deities (Devalokas) emerged as states of
meditation or planes of awareness.
One day at the temple I decided to purchase a
statue to take back home for my altar. I found a
small statue of Lord Skanda that I bought and put
into my nap sack. One of the Brahmin priests in the
temple noted my acquisition and asked for the
statue, which I gave to him. He took my hand and
led me through the temple, doing the puja to the
main deities. He started with the Devi temple and
then to the Shiva linga and finally to the Skanda
temple. My statue was placed on all these murtis
and was consecrated as part of the pujas. It was as
if I myself was reborn as Skanda during these rites.
The Goddess
The figure of the Goddess appeared strong in my
poetry since a child, but it was in India that I came
to really experience her, first at the Tiruvannamalai
temple and at the Ramanashram, but later at many
places in the country. I have always felt myself to
be a child of the Goddess.
Once while I was meditating at the ashram the

Devi appeared to me in a form of Durga called
Mahishasuramardini holding various ornaments
and weapons. She offered these to me and placed
them in my mind. I was puzzled at first and
wondered what I was supposed to do with them. I
later came to know that they were some of the
different teachings and practices that she bestowed
on her devotees. I remember feeling them in my
mind when I was on the plane to the USA as if all
the Gods and Goddesses were riding back with
me.
One needs many tools in order to be successful in
one’s spiritual work. Many obstacles lie along the
way, which require different methods to overcome.
These divine weapons help us break through them.
The divine ornaments give beauty to charm
difficulties away. Such tools proved helpful, if not
crucial through time. Rather than struggling with
problems, I call upon the weapons of the Goddess
to deal with them.
I later realized that Durga was the form of the
Goddess connected with Bharat Mata or Mother
India, who took the form of Durga riding her lion.
Later I came to understand that her blessing was a
presage of my later journalistic work in the
country, which I had no idea about at the time. The

weapons and ornaments were mantric tools to do
this work.
It was if I had become one of the Divine Mother’s
warriors. These I first experienced in the form of
the Vedic Maruts or Wind Gods, the sons of Rudra-
Shiva and the companions of Indra. Later I would
realize their connection with the deity Hanuman
who is also the son of the Wind God and the head
of the divine army. I joined the Mother Durga’s
army, though not knowingly at first.
Sadhu on the Hill
One day during one of my several trips to the
ashram I decided to climb the great hill of
Arunachala. It is a moderate hike of about two
hours. That particular day was a little cloudy so the
heat was not unbearable. After I reached the top of
the hill I stopped to meditate for a few minutes.
There one finds the remains of the fires, the bricks
and pottery, which are burned yearly on the full
moon of the month of Karttika, which is sacred to
Lord Skanda.
While sitting by these I suddenly saw an old figure
dressed in orange taking very wide strides and
coming up the hill. He stopped in a few places and

picked a few berries from the sparse vegetation.
Then he came to within about fifty feet and looked
at me, giving the siddha gesture with his hand. At
that instant the whole of space opened up behind
me. I could feel the infinite void extending in all
directions and my entire life felt like a bubble
within it. It was like a moment out of time. Then he
continued with his wide strides and went to the
other side of the hill and disappeared.
I am not certain who the sadhu was. He did not
look like Ramana but more like a old wandering
Swami. Ramana said that Siddhas dwelled on the
hill. I could say from my experience that this was
the case. India still has such mysterious figures that
one can contact, sense or intuit at times. That is
part of the blessing of visiting the land.
Ganapati Muni and Sri Natesan
My mind had been in a curious dilemma for
several years. On one hand, I had a strong
connection with Ramana Maharshi. On the other
hand, I had an equally strong connection with Sri
Aurobindo whose teaching was very different.
Though I held Ramana as the ideal, my own work
and writings made more sense in terms of Sri
Aurobindo's teaching.

This dilemma began to resolve itself in an
unexpected way. I studied the works of Kapali
Shastri, the guru of M.P. Pandit, who wrote
extensively on the Vedas from Sri Aurobindo’s
point of view. Many of my comments on the
Upanishads that I had written were echoed in
Kapali’s work. I eventually discovered that Kapali,
prior to connecting with Aurobindo had been a
disciple of Ramana Maharshi. He was responsible
for many of the Sanskrit works on Ramana under
the pseudonym K.
Kapali was the chief disciple of Ganapati Muni,
who was perhaps the chief disciple of Ramana.
Ganapati had first discovered Ramana as a young
boy then called Brahma Swami, because he was a
Brahmin boy. He renamed him Ramana and
Bhagavan. Ganapati wrote several important
Sanskrit works on the Maharshi and also put
Ramana’s teachings into Sanskrit, which Kapali as
his disciple commented on.
I decided to search out the works of Ganapati
Muni, particularly on the Vedas, as he was reputed
to be a Vedic scholar as well. I asked M.P. Pandit
about Ganapati and whether his Vedic work was
important. He said that there was little about the

Vedas in the scattered works of Ganapati, though
Ganapati did accept an exalted status for the Vedic
mantras. I asked at the Ramanashram about
Ganapati and his Vedic works but at first nothing
came of it.
In 1992, I came in contact with K. Natesan, who in
his eighties, was one of the oldest living disciples
of Ganapati and Ramana. When Natesan
discovered my interest in Ganapati he revealed his
great secret. He had collected Ganapati’s work for
decades. Besides copies of Ganapati's printed
works, most of which were out of print; he had
painstakingly transcribed Ganapati’s handwritten
manuscripts and gathered nearly all of them. He
had much material that even M.P. Pandit never
knew about, including extensive works on the
Vedas by Ganapati. He happily made copies of all
these works for me and I took them back home to
America to study. Natesan guided me to Ganapati
and became a source of his grace and his influence.
In Ganapati’s works I found an approach to the
Vedas in harmony with my deepest thoughts. The
emphasis on Indra that I had already developed in
my writings was also there in his Thousand Names
of Indra. He understood Agni as Skanda and as

Ramana, which made perfect sense to me. I also
began to come into contact with Ganapati on a
subtle level, feeling an inner rapport and
transmission of knowledge. It was as if he was
speaking to me in my own mind.
Ganapati was a Vedic scholar, a Tantric yogi, an
Ayurvedic doctor and a Vedic astrologer, as well as
an active social thinker and reformer – covering the
same basic range of fields that I had and at a much
deeper level. He even researched the history of the
Vedas and the Mahabharata. He was probably the
greatest Sanskrit poet and writer of this century.
His greatest work, Uma Sahasram, has a thousand
verses and forty chapters each down flawlessly in a
different Sanskrit meter. I recognized him as a
model for what I was attempting in all aspects of
my work. He also presented an approach that
balanced my connection with both Aurobindo and
Ramana. Through Ganapati I was able to bridge
the gap between the two. No doubt a secret affinity
with him was behind the position that I had taken.
Natesan has remained as an important friend and
mentor, helping me on several levels inwardly and
outwardly. He has continued to pass on special
teachings over the years, not only from Ganapati

but also from Ramana and from Sri Aurobindo, as
he remains in contact with both ashrams. Ganapati
came to me through Natesan and became a
personal example for me to follow. He shared my
same varied interests and integrated them as part
of his greater spiritual path.
The Goddesses and Bhakti Yoga
Ganapati’s work contained an extensive teaching
on the Dasha Mahavidya or ten great knowledge
forms of the Goddesses. I wrote about this subject
in my book Tantric Yoga and the Wisdom
Goddesses, using Ganapati's teachings. Ganapati
was also closely connected to Uma, Renuka,
Chinnamasta and many other forms of the
Goddess. His teachings took me deeper into Devi
worship. Using various Goddess mantras has been
central to my yogic practice. Most of these mantras
have come from Ganapati and Natesan. Mantra
after all is the form of the Goddess.
Bhakti Yoga became progressively more important
for me. Its value can be described with a simple
metaphor: knowledge (jnana) is the flame and the
mind is the wick, but bhakti is the oil. Without
bhakti spiritual knowledge burns out the mind,

like a flame does a wick without oil.
I discovered that the Vedas are primarily books on
Bhakti Yoga, quite contrary to a modern scholarly
belief that Bhakti Yoga originated from a later
Islamic or Christian influence in medieval India.
The Vedas worship the Divine in all the forms of
nature including human (Gods like Indra), animal
(vehicles of the gods like the bull and the horse),
plant (the sacred ashwattha tree and Soma plant),
elemental (like fire and water), and cosmic (like the
sun).
The Vedas worship the Divine in all the forms of
nature including human (Gods like Indra), animal
(vehicles of the gods like the bull and the horse),
plant (the sacred ashwattha tree and Soma plant),
elemental (like fire and water), and cosmic (like the
sun). They explain all attitudes of devotion
honoring the Divine as the father, mother, brother,
sister, friend, son, daughter, child and master. The
whole Vedic concept of namas or surrender to the
Gods is itself the essence of Bhakti. The Rig Veda
also frequently mentions the sacred or secret
Divine Names, showing that chanting the names of
God and meditation upon them was always central
to the Vedic path.

This stream of Bhakti has kept Hinduism alive and
flowering throughout the ages from the Rig Veda
to the Mahabharata and the Puranas, from the
Alvars and Nayanars in the south to Tulsidas and
Mirabai in the north of the country. Bhakti is the
real heart of Hinduism. It is a Divine love founded
not on dogma or sin but on the very exuberance of
life itself, which is ever seeking transcendence and
greater awareness. From baby Krishna, to Rama
with his bow, to Durga on her lion it has touched
all the themes of life with great feeling, personal
intimacy and poignancy.
I learned to chant various stotras to the Gods and
Goddesses, particularly those of Shankaracharya,
who produced many wonderful ones, which
became a regular practice for me. J. Jayaraman, the
librarian at the Ramanashram and both a great
sadhu and musician aided me in this pursuit.
Without dipping into the waters of devotion, I find
that my intellectual work is not fulfilling. Often I
spend my evenings in devotional practices after
days of more mental work. This devotion is mainly
to the Goddess but includes the whole range of
Vedic and Hindu deities, including Indra, Agni,
Shiva, Rama, Hanuman and Ganesha.

Brahmarshi Daivarata
A few years later while giving a talk at the
Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan in Mumbai I was given a
curious present, a book called Chandodarshana by
Daivarata, another important disciple of Ganapati
Muni and Ramana Maharshi. The Bhavan
members didn’t know of my connection with
Ganapati, so it was a coincidence. I later received
Vak Sudha, another work of Daivarata as well.
Daivarata followed Ganapati’s vision but unlike
Kapali remained close to Ramana and did not join
Aurobindo. He developed a Vedic view based
upon Ganapati’s ideas, including his own direct
vision of new Vedic mantras much like the Rishis
of old. He also worshipped the Goddess,
particularly as Sarasvati and Tara.
I learned later that Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
brought Daivarata to the West in the early
seventies as a living example of a modern Vedic
Rishi with the full knowledge of the Vedas and the
power of its mantras. I found great inspiration in
his work. Daivarata like Ganapati entered into my
psyche as a key part of the new Vedic renaissance.
The Himalayas

Hinduism is the spirit of the Himalayas. It is a
vision fostered by these lofty subtropical
mountains and their abundant rivers that combine
both height and depth, both austerity and
abundance.
Haridwar at the doorway to the Himalayas is the
conduit, from which the spiritual force of the
mountain yogis spreads its influence into the
plains, eventually reaching all the way down to
Kanya Kumari at the tip of South India. The Ganga
brings blessings not only to the areas along her
banks but to the entire subcontinent. Feeling this
spiritual current from the Himalayan heights
added another dimension to my appreciation of
the Vedic teachings.
During my first visit to Rishikesh we stayed at a
place called Vedbhavan or the house of the Vedas.
It was one of the oldest centers for Vedic rituals in
the area, but had closed down its Vedic program in
1966 when the rich industrialists of the country
ceased to lend their support for it. By chance I
found myself at an old pillar of Vedic ritual.
The Himalayas
Hinduism is the spirit of the Himalayas. It is a

vision fostered by these lofty subtropical
mountains and their abundant rivers that combine
both height and depth, both austerity and
abundance.
Haridwar at the doorway to the Himalayas is the
conduit, from which the spiritual force of the
mountain yogis spreads its influence into the
plains, eventually reaching all the way down to
Kanya Kumari at the tip of South India. The Ganga
brings blessings not only to the areas along her
banks but to the entire subcontinent. Feeling this
spiritual current from the Himalayan heights
added another dimension to my appreciation of
the Vedic teachings.
During my first visit to Rishikesh we stayed at a
place called Vedbhavan or the house of the Vedas.
It was one of the oldest centers for Vedic rituals in
the area, but had closed down its Vedic program in
1966 when the rich industrialists of the country
ceased to lend their support for it. By chance I
found myself at an old pillar of Vedic ritual.
Suvir Sharma, who now owned the place, was the
last of that Vedic line raised to do Vedic chants and
rituals. We listened as he chanted different Vedic
styles from the Rig Veda to the Sama Veda. But

unfortunately this tradition, like so many in India,
appears nearing extinction. The demands of this
commercial age have no real place for communing
with the cosmic powers or for a life of ritual and
chanting.
Uttar Kashi higher up from Rishikesh is the place
where Shiva and Shakti unite. It has a special bliss
and energy. There one can feel the power of the
yogis and the presence of a culture of
consciousness beyond the mundane world. In the
Himalayas further up from there still reside many
great and enigmatic yogis who will have nothing
to do with the world. They preserve the spiritual
heart of Hinduism, which so far remains in tact
though perhaps in retreat. One can still meet with
them and gain their grace if one makes the effort.
Shankaracharyas
In the early nineties I came into contact with
Tattvaloka, the journal of Sringeri Shankaracharya
Math, through its editor T.R. Ramachandran, who
took me on a special visit to Sringeri.
Sringeri is a hill station in Karnataka. It took
several hours by car from the airport at Mangalore
where we flew in. I was surprised to find the main

center that the great Shankaracharya founded
located in such a remote region. Clearly Shankara
was more concerned with tapas than with gaining
public acclaim. He was not creating a new religion
that needed to convert the masses but a way of
meditation in which we must work on ourselves.
This is the Vedantic spirit, which one can still feel
strongly at Sringeri. Self-development is the key to
the Vedic spiritual path, not proselytizing.
I also came into contact with another
Shankaracharya Math in Kanchipuram, a couple
hours southwest of Chennai. Kanchipuram was
one of the seven sacred cities of classical India and
has many great temples.
Chandrashekhar Saraswati, the Shankaracharya at
that time, was nearly a hundred years old and the
grand old teacher of Hinduism. Fortunately I
received his darshan twice before his death. He
blessed the rudraraksha mala that is the main one
that I use today. His work provides an excellent
introduction to Hinduism, particularly in a
Vedantic context.
A few years later through the intercession of the
next Shankaracharya in the line, Jayendra

Saraswati, I was able to visit the Kanchi Kamakshi
temple and have a darshan of the Devi there, for
which westerners were usually not allowed. Such
teachers continue to uphold Hindu dharma and
maintain millennial traditions for the benefit of
future generations.
Alandi – Swami Ram Das
Alandi near Pune in Maharashtra had a similar
high spiritual vibration like the temple cities of
South India and the Tirthas of the North. There
Jnanadeva who wrote the famous Jnanesvar
commentary on the Bhagavad Gita was enshrined.
He voluntarily went underground at the age of
twenty one and never reappeared. The temple
marks the tree beneath which he is said to be
buried and will some day return from. Meditating
there was a powerful experience and connected
one with the great saints of Maharashtra, who did
much to maintain Hinduism through the difficult
period of Islamic rule.
Later I came into contact with the Samartha Ram
Das order, from the great teacher who had been the
guru of the Shivaji, the Maratha king who aroused
the Hindus to revolt against the oppressive Mogul

rule of the country. The Maratha power reclaimed
most of India before the British conquered the
country.
In time I had many such pilgrimages and
experiences throughout India. These are just a few
typical examples.


 




Om Tat Sat
                                                        
(Continued...) 


(My humble Thankfulness to Brahmasree David Frawley (Pandit Vamadeva Shastry)  for the collection)

0 comments:

Post a Comment